top of page


If you think you're a victim of unemployment fraud, please call 1-888-598-2077 or go online on the Department of Labor website to report it.

Please Note:  Cayuga Works Career Center and Cortland Works Career Center are co-located with the Department of Labor

Cayuga Works Career Center and Cortland Works Career Center staff are unable to assist with unemployment-related issues.

Filing a Claim

For First claims and to certify for weekly benefits


What you need before you file

Phone Numbers

Claims Center

Weekly Benefits


Log In Hotline


Some useful information

Filling an unemployment claim

Filing a Claim

To file a New Claim, call 1-888-209-8124  or go to the Department of Labor website to do it online.

To certify for Weekly Benefits, call 1-888-581-5812 or do it online on the DOL's Weekly Benefits page.

As phones are very busy, the easiest way to file is to do everything online.  If you don't have a computer, you can make an appointment to use one at your Career Center. 


Please note that Career Center employees are not allowed to assist with unemployment claims so be prepared and able to complete the form.  

requirements before filling an unemployment claim

Requirements for Filing a Claim

When you are ready to file your claim, make sure you have the following available:

  • Your Social Security number

  • Your driver license or Motor Vehicle ID card number (if you have either one)

  • Your complete mailing address and zip code

  • A phone number where we can reach you from 8 am - 5 pm, Monday –Friday

  • Your Alien Registration card number (if you are not a U.S. Citizen and have a card)

  • Names and addresses of all your employers for the last 18 months, including those in other states

  • Employer Registration number or Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) of your most recent employer (FEIN is on your W-2 forms)

  • Your copies of forms SF8 and SF50, if you were a federal employee

  • Your most recent separation form (DD 214), for military service

You can file a claim without all of these documents. However, missing information can delay your first payment.

If you cannot print web pages, have a pen and paper to copy information.

If you choose direct deposit of your weekly benefits, you will need your bank routing and checking account numbers. You cannot choose direct deposit if you file your claim by telephone.

phone numbers for unemployment

Phone Numbers

Yes, there are high call volumes on these phone lines, and it will take time and multiple attempts to get through.  These are the only phone numbers for these particular divisions. 

Department of Labor people at county level are very limited as to what they can see or do.

Also note that Cayuga Works Career Center and Cortland Works Career Center staff are unable to assist with unemployment issues.  We have no access or clearance for the Department of Labor system.

To file a new claim or questions regarding your claim, call 1-888-209-8124.  To file a new claim, you can also go online to the Department of Labor.

To certify for weekly benefits, call 1-888-581-5812.  If you filed your claim online, you can also certify for  weekly benefits online.

If you believe you are a victim of unemployment fraud, call 1-888-598-2077 or go to the Department of Labor Fraud page.

For issues with your login ID, call 1-800-833-3000

unemployment FAQs


This section is not  be all-inclusive of every  unemployment fact.  If you don't see your question here, visit the Department of Labor FAQs.  There is a section for Claimants and for Employers.

How do I get my 1099 form for taxes?

If you filed by phone, you must call 1-888-209-8124 and follow the prompts to have it mailed to you.

If you filed online, it is in your account under documents, 1099-G, Past Year

I'm on unemployment and want to go back to school.  Do I tell unemployment?

Absolutely!  You need to apply to the 599 Program.  The 599 Training Program is a provision in the Unemployment Insurance (UI) Law that makes it possible for UI recipients to receive benefits while they attend a training course or program that has been approved by the Department of Labor. Under this provision, UI recipients are excused from the requirement to look for work, and they may be eligible for additional weeks of benefits when funding is available. This program does not provide for payment of tuition or other school-related expenses.

The training application and fact sheet are available online as well as FAQs.

I've called the 1-888-209-8124 number, and I can't get through.  Is there another number to call?

Unfortunately, no.  There is no secret, back door number to the Department of Labor Claim Line.  We know it takes a lot of patience trying the number over and over, but believe us, people are getting through.

I received a letter in regards to my unemployment, but I didn't file for unemployment.  What do I do?

You may be a victim of fraud so please report it to 1-888-598-2077 or go to the Department of Labor's Fraud page.

I'm trying to get into my online account but I'm having login issues.  Can you help?

For login issues, call 1-800-833-3000.  They can only be handled at state level.

I haven't received my unemployment debit card.  Who can I contact?

It does take 2-3 weeks after enrollment to receive the card.  To check on the status of the card, call KeyBank at 1-866-295-2955 or go to their website.

I'm not being treated fairly at work.  Do I call the Department of Labor?

You want the Division of Labor Standards.  Call 1-315-428-4057 or 1-888-469-7365.

I'm having trouble with the ID Me.  Can someone help me with this?

We are unable to help with ID Me at the county level, but there is a tutorial available online.

For more information you can also go to the DOL website.

bottom of page